Walnut Kuchen is an old Chilean recipe; I remember eating something like this growing up. It was probably brought to Chile during German immigration. This particular recipe comes from a new Chilean cookbook, “Cocina de Mercado,” which is a great book. It is highly recommended. The kuchen is light and not overly sweet, best enjoyed with coffee. My USA friends called it cake and really liked it.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Walnut Dulce de Leche Cake.
For the dough,
For the filling,
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Butter a round cake pan of 22 cm in diameter (9″) or 20×20 square (9″x9″).
- In a medium bowl beat butter with a fork until creamy, add the sugar and beat until creamy, add the egg and beat well until incorporated fully into the mix. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix to form a soft dough. Scoop the batter into the pan and spread with a spoon or your wet fingers.
- Form an even layer and bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- For the filling, chop the nuts, should be quite small as seen in the picture.
- In a bowl mix the nuts with the condensed milk and egg, a pinch of salt, stir to mix. Add the melted butter and stir well.
- Pour over baked dough (hot) and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove gently and carefully the foil.
- Bake 10-13 minutes until golden. Let cool entirely on a wire rack, refrigerate before cutting and serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven-baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 23.3 g
- Sodium: 62.1 mg
- Fat: 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.1 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: Chilean Walnut Kuchen, German Walnut Kitchen, German Walnut Cake
If you enjoyed this recipe, you would also enjoy my cookbook* featuring 75 Chilean recipes for all seasons. It is lovingly written and scrumptiously photographed, and you’ll delight in the best Chilean cuisine offers, with easy-to-follow recipes tailored to American ingredients and grocery stores.
* Amazon affiliate links