Last night, I was missing my mom, wishing for her to live nearby and not 10.000 miles away. I was craving her baking: oatmeal cookies and strudels. I have one of her recipe books, and I found this lovely Apple Chocolate Kuchen that my mom used to make for me. It was just what I needed to bring all the good memories. I love the smell of the apples cooking in the oven. My husband and children couldn’t wait to try it.
The chocolate and apple combination is delicious; the walnuts give contrast in the texture, and the oatmeal too. My favorite part is the crumbs on top—a fast and excellent recipe.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Apple Sheet Kuchen.
for the apples,
For the kuchen,
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C.
- Butter a 9″ springform pan.
- Cook the apples with sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a small pot over medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Let boil gently. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter cut into pieces and work until crumbs form. Add the walnuts and oats, stir. Reserve a cup of this mixture.
- Add the cocoa and the baking powder to the rest of the mixture. Add the eggs and vanilla, combine.
- Spread the mixture in a buttered pan, place the apples on top and sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until browned.
- Serve cold.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: apple kuchen, apple chocolate kuchen
If you enjoyed this recipe, you would also enjoy my cookbook* featuring 75 Chilean recipes for all seasons. It is lovingly written and scrumptiously photographed, and you’ll delight in the best Chilean cuisine offers, with easy-to-follow recipes tailored to American ingredients and grocery stores.
* Amazon affiliate links