One of the most popular and traditional salads, always providing the crispness that so many main dishes need. Apio Palta is perfect.
One popular salad in Chile with celery and avocado is called “Ensalada Apio Palta” or Chilean Celery Avocado Salad. This salad is a refreshing and straightforward preparation combining celery’s crispness and creamy avocado.
In Chile, you can buy the celery already chopped and ready in a bag with the radishes included. Or start from scratch.
You can also add black olives or toasted walnuts. It adds a lot of flavor.
Apio Palta benefits from being dressed half an hour before serving. And I don’t recommend skipping the step of leaving the celery in ice water. It’s much crunchier.
For me, avocado celery is essential if you eat charquicán or carbonada and, of course, in barbecues.
- Wash and trim the celery stalks. Remove any tough or fibrous strings. Cut into sticks about 1″ long. Leave some leaves and some smaller cubes, and some longer ones.
- Slice the radishes into thin slices.
- Place the celery and radishes in a large bowl, cover with fresh water, and add ice. Rest for 2 hours.
- Cut the avocados into cubes of 1/2″ or so.
- Drain the celery and radishes and return to the bowl; add the avocado.
- Season with the lemon juice; start with the juice of one lemon, oil, and salt.
- Mix well and adjust the seasoning. Add the nuts or olives when serving.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Chilean Apio Palta, Celery Avocado salad
If you enjoyed this recipe, you would also enjoy my cookbook* featuring 75 Chilean recipes for all seasons. It is lovingly written and scrumptiously photographed, and you’ll delight in the best Chilean cuisine offers, with easy-to-follow recipes tailored to American ingredients and grocery stores.
* Amazon affiliate links